Re: Re : Definition "content" :PLEASE DEFINE

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> So here is a further twist. Are these necessarily elements in the XML sense,
> or are they "elements (parts) of a document?

"An enabled element is a piece of content with associated behaviors
that may be activated through the user interface or through an API.
The set of elements that a user agent enables is generally derived
from, but is not limited to, the set of interactive elements defined
by implemented markup languages."

Then

"An interactive element is piece of content that, by specification,
may have associated behaviors to be executed or carried out as a
result of user or programmatic interaction."

We don't limit it to xml element definitions. It's whatever
the format and user agent agree to (as far as I can tell after
this cursory glance through the glossary).

  _ Ian

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>
>   In UAAG 1.0, we have "enabled", "disabled", and
>   "interactive" elements:
>
>     - interactive: an element which may (by specification)
>       be enabled in some user session. All other elements
>       are called non-interactive.
>
>     - enabled: an element in a given session that has
>       behaviors that the user can interact with.
>
>     - disabled: an element in a given session that was
>       enabled but isn't at this moment.
>

>   goliver@accease.com wrote:
>
>   > Hi
>   > I noticed whilst looking at the WAI glossary that what
>   > I call 'Interactive Content' is called 'Active Element'
>   > in that glossary.
>   > http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/Glossary/Overview.html#A
>   >
>   > I don't know if the glossary has a name and definition
>   > for the content that is not 'Active Elements'.
>   > That is what I call 'Passive Content'.
>   >
>   > Cheers
>   > Graham
>   >
>   > On Sun, 27 January 2002, goliver@accease.com wrote
>   >
>   >
>   >>Katie
>   >>Here is a post
>   >>
>   >>
>   > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0900.html
>   >
>   >>where I suggested a distinction which I felt would be
>   >>useful in terms of defining content.
>   >>
>   >>Of all the definitions of content provided in your
>   >>original post, the following is the one that I
>   >>understand the most.
>   >>
>   >>Telecom Glossary
>   >>
>   >>
>   > http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/projects/t1glossary2000/_content.html
>   >
>   >>content: In Web terminology, the text, media, and
>   >>
>   > links
>   >
>   >>or information displayed by a browser at a particular
>   >>Web site. [Bahorsky]
>   >>
>   >>Cheers
>   >>Graham Oliver
>   >>
>   >>AccEase Ltd : Making on-line information accessible
>   >>Phone : +64 9 846 6995
>   >>Email : goliver@accease.com
>   >>
>   >
>   > AccEase Ltd : Making on-line information accessible
>   > Phone : +64 9 846 6995
>   > Email : goliver@accease.com
>   >
>   >

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447