Re: [wbs] response to 'Media Resource - Publication Approval'

Hi Shadi,

Thank you for squeezing this in right after your vacation!

Replies below

On 9/3/2019 12:00 PM, Shadi Abou-Zahra via WBS Mailer wrote:
> Comments:
> This resource is great and has much improved since I last reviewed it! I
> look forward to it getting published.
>
> As I have not been able to review this any earlier, all my comments are
> strictly for editor's discretion:
>
> [ED-med] Intro page: "Some cannot, and prefer sign language" -> "Some are
> more comfortable with sign language". Rationale: you explain the reading
> aspects well in the "Captions/Subtitles" page but I feel that it is here
> too abbreviated, and I recall some sensitivities in the community around
> this topic.

Thanks. Definitely want to avoid sensitivities.

Content around it: "Many people who are Deaf can read text well. They get the audio information from transcripts or captions. Some cannot, and prefer sign language."

"more comfortable" seems too wimpy.

I considered: "Some people need sign language."

Changed to: "Many people who are Deaf can read text well. They get the audio information from transcripts or captions. Some people prefer sign language."

OK?

> [ED-med] Intro page, How to Make Audio and Video Accessible: I would prefer
> the page links for "Planning", "Audio and Video Content", and "Media
> Players" to be at the front of the text rather than at the end (as in the
> next four page links later on).

Early on, EOWG said that section was heavy and dense. We cut some text. Having some before and some after helps break up the density. More importantly, it helps communicate the things are different.

Also, we've had this layout since June (with images since July) and there were not comments on this previously.

I did a quick pass to see it: https://deploy-preview-111--wai-media-guide.netlify.com/design-develop/media/#how-to-make-audio-and-video-accessible

Indeed, I think the usability is better as we have it. We would like readers to read those paragraphs. Whereas, the aspects in the list, readers can just go to those pages without reading the description if they don't need it.

We did have Media Players last in an iteration many weeks ago, and it made the section more complex. ([new preview so you can see it](https://deploy-preview-113--wai-media-guide.netlify.com/design-develop/media/#how-to-make-audio-and-video-accessible))

done: re-ordered navigation - moved media player up and transcribing down. rationale: media player is essential for accessibility, matching order of How to Make Audio and Video Accessible <https://wai-media-guide.netlify.com/design-develop/media/#how-to-make-audio-and-video-accessible> and Checklists <https://wai-media-guide.netlify.com/design-develop/media/planning/#checklist>

> [ED-low] Captions, Introduction: image seems overly large and the text to
> the right is in a very narrow column that is hard to read.

yeah, it's just that the captions are so small! I changed settings in the player and am re-doing the image. made it smaller.

> [ED-high] Captions, Captions and Subtitles: "Captions for the same
> language." -- same language as what? Think need to emphasize that captions
> (for accessibility) must be in the same language as the spoken audio.

Changed to: "Captions for the same language as the spoken audio"

> [ED-high] Captions, Captions and Subtitles: suggest a
> clarification/reminder that captions are necessary for accessibility while
> subtitles are not an accessibility accommodation (it seems kind of
> implicit).

OK. I think some people might disagree somewhat -- based on some of the other comments that we've gotten.

I'm trying: "Captions are needed for accessibility, whereas subtitles in other languages are not directly an accessibility accommodation."

Other ideas? Or, let's see how that flies?

Best,