Fwd: Feedback - Planning and Managing

Received today from new EO participant Scott Hollier...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Scott Hollier <Scott.Hollier@mediaaccess.org.au>
Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:10 AM
Subject: Feedback - Planning and Managing
To: Sharron Rush <srush@knowbility.org>

The document looks great, the only one bit of feedback I wanted to see if
the EOWG would consider is in the Initiative – Learn the Basics where
there’s a point “Set up assistive technology demonstrations.”  I was
wondering if it were possible to expand this, or include as an additional
point, trialling the use of assistive technology.  It’s been my experience
that showing demonstrations have some impact, but actually getting someone
to try using a screen reader, pointing device, screen magnifier etc.
themselves really helps them to realize the challenges and significance of
the process.  In the course I teach we get the students to use a really
basic screen reader and just try doing three basic tasks.  Whether they
succeed or not, from that point on they really understand the issues in a
way that is more effective than a demo.  Given that most computers and
mobile devices have accessibility features built in, I think the resource
would benefit from encouraging people to actually try experiencing the web
in a different way at this very early stage of the resource  - not to
beocme a user or expert, but just to understand how it works on a person
level and reinforce that the web can work differently for different people.

Thank you,

Scott.

*Dr Scott Hollier*

Director, Digital Accessibility | Media Access Australia

61 Kitchener Avenue, Victoria Park WA 6100

Tel: 08 9311 8230 (direct) 02 9212 6242 (main) Mobile: 0430 351 909 Web:
www.mediaaccess.org.au

Media Access Australia <http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/> - inclusion through
technology, Access iQ® <http://www.accessiq.org/> - creating a web without
limits and cap that! <http://capthat.com.au/> - improving literacy with