Fwd: Contact Organizations about Inaccessible Websites

Hello EO editors,

I like this new page! Here are some suggestions for it:

- Consider your Approach: "Keep in mind that there are different reasons why
websites are not accessible. Some organizations don't know about
accessibility and don’t know how to make their websites accessible. Some are
just learning about accessibility and trying to make their website
accessible, although they may not be doing it well yet. And there are some
organizations that choose not to make their websites accessible."

Other reasons may be that the organization is accessible up to a particular
level of conformance to a guideline/standard which is not adequate for their
(the user's) requirement; or that despite full conformance to
guidelines/standards there are some usability impacts that are not accounted
for in the guideline/standard.

- Encouraging Accessible Websites:

Strengthen the message for encouraging accessible websites. Many
organizations have no idea if their accessibility efforts are worth it from
the perspective of persons with disabilities. A very common question is "Are
any persons with disabilities actually using our site?". It is impossible to
programmatically detect this and it raises privacy concerns to try and
collect this information. It would help organizations to hear from persons
with disabilities even when they are doing a good job. Positive feedback
works at an organization level just as well as it does at a personal level.

- Describe the Problem, "To help the organization diagnose and fix
accessibility barriers, clearly describe where the problem occurred, what
the problem is, and what computer and software you're using.":

Include "what you were trying to do". This is included in the sample emails
and is helpful for organizations.

- Keep Records for Further Follow-up, "Keep copies of the website when you
first encounter the problem and any time the website changes, for example
print the pages or make electronic screen grabs or captures that show the
problem":

Perhaps expand this to explain that the format of the copy needs to be
appropriate for the type of problem. A screen grab or print out is
appropriate for visual issues, such as altered color display, but not for
screen reader issues, where saving the page is more appropriate.

- Sample Email 1:

Consider removing "I encountered some accessibility barriers for people with
disabilities and older people using your website." to keep the email
personal. I think it has greater impact.

- Sample Email 3:

Editorial "I can't [use] a mouse very much because my arms don’t work well."

I would really like to see a similar page for web applications - encouraging
employees to make requests of their procurement managers, making sure
accessibility is part of any requirements document, etc.

Well done!

Sofia Celic-Li