Re: Better Web Browsing -- mostly copy edits part 2 of 2

Hi Jeniffer,

Part 2 of the log on how your comments were addressed:

Jennifer Sutton wrote:
> Shadi, Andrew, and Shawn:
>
> I sent this to EOWG-Editors last night, but it doesn't sem to have posted:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-eo-editors/2009Dec/
>
> I'm 99% sure I've got this list set to let posts go through; when I sent
> my post on Friday, I got my copy back.
>
> Likely operator error somehow; I really only care that you receive these
> comments.
>
> If it'd be easier to have a cleaner resend, rather than fwd, please let
> me know.
>
> Best,
> Jennifer
>
>> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:34:00 -0800
>> To: wai-eo-editors
>> From: Jennifer Sutton <jsuttondc@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Better Web Browsing -- mostly copy edits part 2 of 2
>>
>> EOWG Editors, especially Andrew and Shadi:
>>
>> Continuing through "Better Web Browsing" from whereI left off on
>> Friday, Dec. 11.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/adaptive/strategies.html
>> Editors Draft: $Date: 2009/12/11 14:05:35 $ [
>>
>> 1.  Likely, this is on your list of things to do, but I think that the
>> URI should change, before publication, to more closely reflect the title.

Yes, the URI will change when this draft document is finalized.

>> 2.  For the resources under:
>> Listening Rather than Reading
>>
>> Am I missing the obvious i.e. one of the resource links deal with this?
>>
>> I don't see NVDA, JFW, Window-Eyes, HAL (or whatever it's called, from
>> Dolphin.  Should I?
>>
>> 2.1.  Also, is FireVox still being maintained? Likely, I've just not
>> heard about it for a while.

Most links have been changed to clarify where they lead to. However,
basically we are avoiding pointing to specific products to avoid link
chasing and maintenance issues. All of the products that you list are
referenced from at least one of the listings referenced from this doc.

>> 3.  Software tools that are
>> used to show video or listen to audio (called
>> media players
>>  and are sometimes embedded into the web browser) often have
>> additional volume controls.
>> Be sure to adjust these too, and to make sure that the sound output of
>> the system
>> or speakers is not muted.
>>
>> Suggest something like:
>>
>> Software tools that are
>> used to show video or listen to audio are called
>> media players.
>>  They may be embedded into the web browser, and they often have
>> additional volume controls.
>> Be sure to adjust these, too, and make sure that the sound output of
>> the system
>> or speakers is not muted.

Accepted suggestion but addressed differently.

>> 4.  I'm not sure whether it'd be a good idea, but what about linking
>> to somewhere that shows a page of YouTube with captions since that's a
>> site that many will know?
>>
>> Hasn't Google recently enabled this?
>>
>> Maybe there is a YouTube resource that W3C already has?

Linked to the official YouTube page about captioning, which includes
information about how to turn YouTube captions on.

>> 5.  In terms of sign language, I'm not sure what the right terminology
>> is.  Is "alternate format" acceptable?  Sign language isn't a format,
>> exactly.
>>
>> Even braille really isn't an alternate "format," it's honestly an
>> alternate medium. But I'm not meaning to open that can of worms, per se.

Changed the sentence to:

[[Some website owners provide sign language videos as an alternate to
text or audio.]]

>> 6. if the
>> keys or keyboard design is not comfortable for you. Keyboards have
>> keys with various
>>
>> Should be "are not comfortable."

Fixed grammar.

>> 7. Add comma, see brackets:
>>
>> your keyboard
>> is optimal for you[,] and consider replacing your keyboard if needed.

Fixed punctuation.

>> 8. Brackets:
>>
>> applications[,] including web browsers[,] can

Fixed punctuation.

>> 9. Should be helps -- enlarging helps . . .
>>
>> and sometimes
>> enlarging text and images
>>  [help -- add s] you identify the links or controls on the web page.
>> Other common keyboard commands

Fixed grammar.

>> 10. Note what I mentioned earlier, on Friday, about whether commands
>> should be surrounded by apostrophes or quotation marks. I'm not sure
>> what the standard actually is.  Part of my preference may stem from my
>> s.r.s verbosity settings, but THAT's not what should guide the decision.

Fixed the use of quotations marks throughout the document.

>> 11.  I wonder if this audience will know what a history is or what
>> tabs are.
>>
>> How about control+L to open a page?
>>
>> I wonder if "find" is the same across browsers i.e. within a page.
>>
>> I'm trying to think of what kbd shortcuts I'd like my father to know.

The "related resources" now include extensive documentation for most
browsers and operating systems. We want to avoid re-listing them here.

>> 12. Typo, see brackets:
>>
>> Linux [keyboradr] shortcuts -

Fixed typo.

>> 13. Writing "keys" over and over is undoubtedly a pain, but I'm not
>> sure "buttons" is a good idea.
>>
>> In order to facilitate single-handed typing, you can set your system
>> so that functions
>> buttons such as '
>> Ctrl' or 'Alt
>> ' do not need to be pressed at the same time as other keys to invoke
>> key combinations.
>>
>> Buttons make me think of things other than kbds, like buttons on mice.

Fixed typo.

>> 14.  Brackets:
>>
>>  by switching on the sticky keys functions[,][JS: should be
>> function[s],] you

Fixed grammar and punctuation.

>> 15. For people who are more comfortable using the mouse or other types
>> of pointing devices
>> than using the keyboard, most computer operating systems provide
>>
>> Suggest:
>>
>> For people who prefer to use the mouse (or other types of pointing
>> devices)
>> rather than using the keyboard, most computer operating systems provide

Accepted edits.

>> 16. Adjusting the mouse settings
>>  and
>> customizing the mouse-pointer
>>  can also improve the efficiency of your mouse use.
>>
>> Change to:
>>
>> Adjusting the mouse settings
>>  and
>> customizing the mouse-pointer
>>  can also improve how efficiently you use the  mouse.

Sentence changed to:

[[Adjusting the mouse settings and customizing the mouse-pointer can
also improve your efficiency in using the mouse.]]

>> 17. Can these two sentences be combined?
>>
>> There are a number of ergonomic or specialized keyboards to help you
>> type more effectively
>> and comfortably with less effort and strain. Ergonomic keyboards have
>> special designs
>> and key layouts to reduce strain or to help you type more effectively.

Actually the sentence "Ergonomic keyboards ..." is related to the next
one "Specialized keyboards ...", but have not been combined to reduce
the complexity of the paragraph as a whole. To avoid repetition, the
first sentence has been changed to:

[[There are a number of ergonomic or specialized keyboards that can be
used instead of the regular keyboard.]]

>> 18.  Brackets:
>>
>> However, [change they to this software] can be effective for people who

Accepted edit (but used "[these] software" instead for plural).

>> 19. Mention Dragon Naturally Speaking?  Or is the idea to be
>> third-party product agnostic i.e. not mentioning specific s.r.s as I
>> suggested, above?

Same as above, want to refrain from listing products directly. However,
this and several other products are included in the references.

>> 20. Brackets:
>>
>> have spell-checking capability[,] and sometimes the spelling
>> functionality
>> can be extended using

Fixed punctuation.

>> 21. Some users prefer to type long texts in word-processing software
>> (such as Microsoft
>> Word or Open Office Write) with which they are more comfortable, then
>> copy the text
>> into the online forms.
>>
>> Suggest:
>>
>> Some users prefer to type long texts in word-processing software (such
>> as Microsoft
>> Word or Open Office Write) with which they are more comfortable. Then,
>> they can  copy the text
>> into an online form, for example.

Accepted edit.

>> 21.1.  I guess I've always heard OO only. Write is the part of the
>> suite synonymous with Word?

Yes, exactly. For more clarity, both "Microsoft Word" and "Open Office
Write" have been emphasized with quotations.

>> 22. Pointing devices such as the mouse or the touchpad on some laptop
>> computers can be
>>
>> Suggest:
>>
>> Pointing devices, such as the mouse or the touchpad on some laptop
>> computers, can be

Fixed punctuation.

>> 23. In
>> particular, you can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse towards
>> movement to slow
>> it down.
>>
>> Suggest:
>>
>> In
>> particular, you can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse to movement in
>> order to slow
>> it down.

Accepted edit.

Many thanks,