Re: Publishing Accessible Presentations - reply by Thursday 15 April

Hi Shawn,

Please find below my comments for your consideration.

# Comment 1:
- Location: Ask if participants have accessibility requirements
- Text: "send an email to internal training participants, etc"
- Comment: it is unclear what "internal training participants" are
- Suggestion: "For example, include a question on registration forms and
invitations for conferences, meetings, and trainings, to invite
participants to include specific accessibility requests" (see #2)

# Comment 2:
- Location: Ask if participants have accessibility requirements
- Text: "Invite participants to include specific requests, for example,
seating small discussion groups in a circle so you can see each other is
useful for people who are hard of hearing"
- Comment: example may be too complex or daunting to readers, especially
since it is the first specific example in the document
- Suggestion: remove example or replace with simpler ones if needed

# Comment 3:
- Location: Ensure the facility and area is accessible
- Text: "When feasible, allow participants to check out the room in
advance to ... "
- Comment: "when feasible" sounds like an obligation
- Suggestion: consider "if possible", "when needed", or "if requested";
or drop this sentence entirely

# Comment 4:
- Location: Ensure the facility and area is accessible
- Text: entire paragraph
- Comment: (1) built-environment accessibility is more than wheelchair
accessibility, (2) paragraph is complex because of AV considerations
- Suggestion: split paragraph into two, physical and AV accessibility;
for example as follows:

[[
* Ensure the venue is physically accessible.
  - For example, inquire if all relevant rooms and facilities, including
the building entrance, meeting room, break rooms, and bathrooms meet
accessibility standards. Ensure access for wheelchair users, people who
can not walk for long distances or climb steps in a theater or podium,
and people who may not be able to see or use elevator buttons, etc.

* Check all audio-visual (AV) systems.
  - Ensure adequate sound system, including working ALD/hearing loop
with sufficient batteries as needed. Ensure that sound and screen
display work with assistive technologies used by presenters, and for
remote or present CART writers and interpreters as needed.
]]

# Comment 5:
- Location: Arrange for a microphone
- Text: new text proposed
- Comment: add something about sufficient microphones
- Suggestion: "Provide microphones for all speaker and for the audience
as needed, and ensure connection to the ALD/hearing loop system"

# Comment 6:
- Location: Work with CART writer and interpreters
- Text: "Work with CART writer and interpreters"
- Comment: preference for edits suggested below
- Suggestion: "Arrange for CART writer and interpreters as needed"

# Comment 7:
- Location: Provide material ahead of time
- Text: entire section
- Comment: it is unclear what material to provide ahead of time
- Suggestion: consider spelling out, like "provide slides, hand-outs or
other material to CART writers, interpreters, and participants as needed"

# Comment 8:
- Location: Provide material ahead of time
- Text: "More about accessible material below"
- Comment: make link text same as the heading text to help associate
- Suggestion: "More about providing accessible material below"

# Comment 9:
- Location: new (after "Provide material ahead of time")
- Text: new text proposed
- Comment: add something about appropriate agenda planning
- Suggestion:

[[
* Provide a reliable agenda.
  - Ensure sufficient breaks, include sessions for orientation and
logistics, provide information about room location, and keep to the
scheduled time.
]]

# Comment 10:
- Location: Use appropriate background and text colors
- Text: entire section
- Comment: is this an accessibility requirement?
- Suggestion: may need to use a better example than "bold"

# Comment 11:
- Location: Use multiple communication modes
- Text: entire section
- Comment: unclear because "multiple communication modes" is jargon and
the text does not really clarify what the speaker needs to do
- Suggestion: consider a different title and adding one or two more
words about what it means for the speaker, that people have different
learning modes/preferences

# Comment 12:
- Location: Offer slides, handouts, and other material in accessible formats
- Text: entire section
- Comment: to complex and hard to follow
- Suggestion: break up into individual steps, such as:

[[
* Provide alternative formats for slides, handouts, and other material.
  - Participants might need material in alternative formats such as
large print or braille; however, if they get the material in advance
electronically, they might not need it in print at all. Electronic
formats such as HTML (that is, web page format) and RTF are often the
most flexible to meet different people's needs.

* Ensure slides, handouts, and other electronic material is accessible.
  - Ensure your materials are accessible, for example, provide
alternative text for images. Material should meet WCAG 2.0, at least
Level AA. (Some other resources are listed under For More Information
below.)
]]

# Comment 13:
- Location: Speak clearly
- Text: new text proposed
- Comment: add other aspects of speaking clearly
- Suggestion: "Avoid using jargon, explain acronyms and uncommon words,
and speak slowly so that people understand you better"

# Comment 14:
- Location: new (after "Describe other visual information")
- Text: new text proposed
- Comment: what about sound?
- Suggestion:

[[
* Describe subtle audio information.
  - Describe subtle cues conveyed through audio. For example, explain
the feedback cue that is expressed through a sound clip.
]]

# Comment 15:
- Location: new (after "Describe other visual information")
- Text: new text proposed
- Comment: what about sound?
- Suggestion: add a new section about describing audio too, for example
after playing a sound file (or demo'ing a screen reader etc.)

[[
* Expect the unexpected.
  - People have different needs and requirements; they may need to use
magnifying glasses, photograph the screen, record your voice, leave the
room, eat, or drink.
]]

# Comment 16:
- Location: Providing recording afterwards
- Text: new text proposed
- Comment: consider broadening beyond recordings alone
- Suggestion: add something about making the slides, handouts, and other
material also available after the session.

# Comment 17:
- Location: Make media fully accessible
- Text: "WCAG"
- Comment: previous link to the same page was called "WCAG 2.0" and did
not have acronym tags
- Suggestion: unify both approaches

# Comment 18:
- Location: Additional Benefits
- Text: "Presentations that are accessible to people with disabilities
have additional benefits. For example"
- Comment: say something brief about the larger audience reached by more
inclusive presentations (even if this somewhat repeats the bcase doc)
- Suggestion: "Presentations that are accessible to people with
disabilities are inclusive to many more audiences including people who
are new to the subject matter, people who are not fluent in the
language, or people who have varying learning styles. Accessible
presentations also have additional benefits, including:"

Regards,
   Shadi