style control and [user interface] media types

to follow up on what Daniel Dardailler said:

> Jason wrote:
>
> > 1. Since my original message on the topic, I have revised my braille media
> > type proposal. As stated in my Braille CSS requirements document, I have
> > suggested that the following two media types be defined, parallel to the
> > "print" and "screen" types, to distinguish between embossed and dynamic
> > braille:
> >
> > media="braille embossed"
> > media="braille displayed"
>
> We also had mentioned things like "tty", "hugefont", "lowres".
> We need to decide what exactly we want in HTML4 vs being adopted by
> market practices.

For background, the issues are disscussed somewhat under "policy"
and "media-profiling" in

  Status of ACSS action item on 02 July 1977
  http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/web-access/ACSS/status1.html

I will write a more propositional piece on this area today or tomorrow.

The key technical idea is that the styles domain defines the type
used to classify media, and HTML per se doesn't [technically]
know anything but the type of text used to communicate media
types to the stylesheet processing.

If that is clear as mud, remember that I will follow soon with
more detail.

--
Al Gilman