Re: ALT vs TITLE vs a solution

Al:

I just tried this url and it failed.

- Mike

At 11:45 AM 8/6/97 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>It is wasteful for you and me to be arguing whether the author
>should put information about the link target in the IMG.ALT or
>A.TITLE when the authors have not populated either, nor will
>they.
>
>I need you to join me in teaching the group to demand a more
>radical solution such that the navigability is preserved even
>when the authors don't do anything extra.
>
>My note at
>
>  http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/web-access/perc-rfc.html
>
>tries to follow your model for what WAI should do to capture a
>problem for the experts.  Can you give us a response to that
>message that is articulated in the proper language of DOM, XML,
>RDF, etc?
>
>We need a long-range plan for communicating the necessary
>information about the link target that does not generate busywork
>for authors.  Once we have that, perhaps we can see our way clear
>to saying something about ALT in the short term that is
>compatible with the browsers in the field today.
>
>--
>Al Gilman

Michael G. Paciello                      Executive Director,
E-Mail: mailto:paciello@yuri.org         Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
Tel: +1 603 598 9544                     URL: http://www.yuri.org/
FAX: +1 603 598 2839                     Promoting Accessibility Awareness!

Please Make a Tax-Deductible Donation:   http://www.yuri.org/donate.html