RE: approach to discussing guidelines

Don't worry that 7.2 doesn't reflect everything weve talked about.  That is why it is only the starting point for us - or a base point to work from.   I expect that the W3 guidelines will take off from there with no particular deference to what was in 7.2.     The working group can (and will) modify it and its WAI successors freely as necessary.    We (Trace) will be dropping our guidelines as soon as the WAI issues its first, and we will just point to the WAI / W3C (or whatever they are dubbed ) guidelines after that.

But we need a place to start...   and the Unified was an attempt to pull as many other guidelines together as possible.

Anyway,  if you thing another is more appropriate, that is fine with me. We just need something to start from.  And this note is just to say that you can feel free to take, toss or tear up these in whatever way the group thinks is useful.

By the way,  we had worked out a  layer set of guidelines that we were implementing when WAI happened (so we stopped).  You may want to continue to consider it.

1) A one to two pager for managers who are in charge of webs or that department etc but who may or may not know what a tag is.   But it would let them know basically why it was important and what the key issues were - in layman's language.
2) A 2 page (or as short as possible) summary that can be used as a reminder and checklist by those who know the basics. (similar to what we had on our version 6 guidelines. )
3) A more in-depth discussion of what the issues are so that someone can understand what the problems are and thus understand the solutions rather than just having a cookbook.
4) A detailed cookbook.  (something on the level of 7.2 but revised)
5) A web site that provides running discussions, case studies etc for someone who is really interested in learning and practicing accessible web design.

See ya'll tomorrow.

Gregg

Gregg C. Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Dept of Industrial Engineering
Director - Trace R & D Center
s-151 Waisman Center
University of Wisconsin- Madison  53705
gv@trace.wisc.edu,    WWW & FTP at  Trace.Wisc.Edu