Re: USEMAP

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

> I agree, and wonder how close we are with the text included in the
> Trace unified guidelines at:
>   http://www.trace.wisc.edu/text/guidelns/htmlgide/htmlgide.htm#graphics.imaps

Thank you for the reference. The Trace recommendations on this point are
excellent, and I fully support the policy of emphasising client-side image
maps as the preferred approach. The only change that I would suggest,
taking up one of Al's earlier comments, is that in some cases it may be
important to provide a link to an over-all description of the image as
well as ALT text for each of the active areas. For instance, in the
example provided in the guidelines concerning the image of a motorcycle,
it would be helpful to have a general description of the vehicle as well
as ALT text associated with each link.