Re: Acronyms and abbreviations revisited

Jason wrote:

> Just to clarify this proposal, I would emphasize the importance of not
> only specifying what the link type should be, but also prescribing the
> format of the dictionary file itself. Unnecessary compatibility problems
> would arise if different software developers were allowed to decide upon
> their own dictionary file formats. Hence, a single standard for the
> dictionary file should be provided right from the outset.

Note that if we use a LINK as in

<LINK REL="AbrevDict" CONTENT="dictio.html">

There is always the possibility, as when used with Style sheet, to
indicate the type:

<LINK REL="AbrevDict" CONTENT="dictio.xml" TYPE="text/xml">

I think this is as far as we can go in this context, and trying to
define a file format for abbreviation dictionary should be a separate
effort.