Re: Acronyms and Abbreviations?

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, T. V. Raman wrote:

> I'd separate the issue of acronyms from pronunciations.

That makes sense and is what I was intending. We should work towards
handling pronunciation in a new attribute that encodes phonemic and
prosodic information. The TITLE attribute amplifies the meaning by
expanding the acronym. An example peculiar to the UK:

     <acronym title="Womens Institute">WI</acronym>

> On the other hand, there are many commonly used acronyms that are heavily
> context-dependent.

Right, or which are unlikely to appear in dictionaries.

> Jan in a calendar is January;
> but you dont want the speech UA to say January every time it sees Jan.
>
> This latter category of acronyms would be useful to markup.

Except this is really an abbreviation, that is easily handled by
client-side dictionaries.

> In fact marking up "lb" might help both speech users as well as
> non-native speakers of English i.e.
> <acronym title = "pounds">lb</acronym>

Yes, that is how I would use it too.

Regards,