RE: UAAG 2.0 for text customization

Comments marked JR:

JR:
1.4.1 Configure text globally => OK (though I suggest handle: "Configure Text Scale, Color, Font")
1.4.2 Configure text elements => SEE BELOW
1.4.3 Configure text globally => OK - except who would choose Italic?
1.4.4 Printing configured and reflowed text: => SEE BELOW
1.4.5 Configure text elements=> I like the construct but wonder about some of the items...Text style: Italic?; Margins: lists example is tricky ...maybe better to universal control of anything indented (lists, blockquote etc.).
1.4.6 Configure text globally => I like the construct but wonder about some of the items (e.g. when they say margins, do they mean padding).

JR: I agree that the IERs need to be at the SC level as with MOST of the others. You could possibly split it so that that certain IER blocks cross several SCs (as with this: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20/#sc_163), although I'm not really a fan of that.

> 2) The proposed stems (handles or titles for the SC) are not unique, when we
> had agreed a long time ago to have unique stems.  I will send a separate
> email with proposed stem changes.

JR: I agree that the stems need to be unique.

> 3) Proposed 1.4.2 & 1.4.5 Configure text elements: The user can set all of the
> following characteristics of visually rendered text content for headings, main
> text, and other elements:
>
> "other elements" is not a testable term. I had hoped that we could link to the
> term "important elements", but that definition is related to navigation.  I
> think we need to spell out what the specific elements are that can be
> customized, otherwise, the sC will be interpreted to provide element
> customization for every available element, which is too much for Level AA. I
> suggest that the important elements are: headings, main text, links, table
> headings, table data, and input elements. Are there any others that are so
> important that we need to specifically call them out?

JR: I agree that "Other elements" is not testable. I like you list except "Input elements" which is already covered by 1.3.1.

> 4)Proposed 1.4.4. Printing configured and reflowed text: The user can print
> blocks of text that is configured according to the success criteria of guideline
> 1.4 and/or reflowed according to success criteria 1.8.x, including text that is
> zoomed. (Level AA)
>
> I remember we spent months on this and finally decided we couldn't do it.
> Does anyone remember more of the details on this?

JR: Printing...oy! I don't really like the recently proposed text because it fails to mention other rendering changes such as highlighting. Greg proposed some more expansive printing text here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010OctDec/0089.html

In June 2012 we assigned it to UAAG-next
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012AprJun/0135.html

Cheers,
Jan