From: Kim Patch [mailto:kim@redstartsystems.com]
Sent: May-17-13 12:41 PM
To: WAI-UA list
Subject: user agent definition

Greetings,

Jeanne I made some changes to the last section of the user agent definition today - web view component - please take a look below. We also added examples. If anyone has good examples for the last section, please suggest them.

Cheers,
Kim

user agent
A user agent is any software that retrieves, renders and facilitates end user interaction with Web content. If the software only performs these functions for time-based media, then the software is typically referred to as a *media player*, otherwise, the more general designation *browser* is used. UAAG 2.0 identifies several user agent architectures:
stand-alone, non-web-based, browser: These user agents run on non-Web platforms (operating systems and cross-OS platforms, such as Java) and perform content retrieval, rendering and end-user interaction facilitation themselves. (e.g. Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera).
embedded user agent: These user agents "plug-in" to stand-alone user agents in order to rendering and facilitate end-user interaction for content types (e.g. multimedia), that the stand-alone user agent is not able to (e.g. Quicktime, Acrobat Reader, Shockwave). Embedded user agents establish direct connections with the platform (e.g. communication via platform accessibility services)
web-based user agent: These user agents operate by (a) transforming the web content into a technology that the stand-alone (or embedded) user agent can render and (b) injecting the user agent's own user interface functionality into the content to be rendered. (e.g. Gmail, Facebook, Skype)
web view component, mobile app: These user agents are used to package a constrained set of web content into non-web-based applications, especially on mobile platforms. If the finished application retrieves, renders and facilitates end-user interaction with web content, then the application is a user agent. If the finished application only renders non web content, then the application is not a user agent for the purposes of UAAG 2.0 conformance.