Fwd: Just in case I am not on the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:14 AM
Subject: Just in case I am not on the list.
To: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>, Kelly Ford <Kelly.Ford@microsoft.com>,
Jeanne Spellman <jeanne@w3.org>

2.5.3, 2.5.5( 1.11.1), 1.10.2

Overview
2.5.3 The user can view the path of nodes leading from the root to the
current focused element.

Ambiguities:
This language is good if we mean to follow the document object family
tree (whatever the document object structure is).
If we want to follow a document outline structure the labels like
(h1-h6) (caption) ... as in 1.10.1 this language doesn't do it.

Perception vs. Operation:  Do we want this structure to be active for
navigation?
2.5.5 Access to Relationships which Aid Navigation AND 1.11.1 Access
Relationships:

2.5.5 The user can access explicitly-defined relationships based on
the user's position in content, and the path of nodes leading from the
root of any content hierarchy to that position. (Level AA)

AND

1.11.1 The user can access explicitly-defined relationships based on
the user's position in content (e.g. show form control's label, show
label's form control, show a cell's table headers).

1.11.1 is the correct language.  2.5.5 is redundant unless it means
implicitly relationships defined by the path from the root the node.
I doubt this is the interpretation.

Before I leave, 1.10.2 belongs in this mix.

The logical hierarchy needs to be in the operable section and located
with the other 2.5 SC.  We really need tease out the difference
between: DOM family structure, Logical Hierarchy and Language Defined
associations like table headings and labels for forms.
Conclusion

2.5.3 should use the language of Jan Richards

2.5.5 Should be 1.11.1

1.10.2 Should be in 2.5

Finally these structures should be navigable.

Once we agree on the issues, I will finish the language.

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756