Subject: I'm Worried...
From: Simon Harper <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>
To: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Date: 2/5/2010 2:32 AM

Hi there guys,

Sorry for not being very talkative on the Telecon yesterday, and for
confining myself to listening to the discussion. However, as the
discussion unfolded, and this is not in relation to action item 263, I
started to become a little worried about what we are actually expecting
user agent manufacturers to do with regard to the accessibility of their
technology. From a brief analysis of guidelines as they stand in draft
at present we seem to be reasonably focused on specific key disability
such as blindness and hearing loss. I became more concerned with regard
to how these guidelines would be implemented with regard to cognitive
disability and learning impairments as in some cases it seems to me that
the guidelines have an implicit idea about, and address, a specific
disability.

That said I may be completely wrong on this point, so to allay my fears
I wonder if somebody from the group could answer me a couple of
questions. I think if we can't answer these questions we need to think
again about some of the guidelines and indeed our ideas about user agent
accessibility.

1) How does principle three 'PRINCIPLE 3: Perceivable - The user
interface and rendered content must be presented to users in ways they
can perceive.' and the guidelines that are within it relate to cognitive
disability and learning impairments, 'content must be presented to users
in ways they can perceive' suggests to me that the content must be
translated into pictograms for this particular user group. Are we really
expecting this to occur?

2) In the case of guideline 4.9 'Guideline 4.9 Provide control of
content that may reduce accessibility.' Content that may reduce
accessibility is text with regard to cognitive disability learning
impairment. How can this be addressed in such a case?

3) Finally, 'Principle 5: Ensure that user interface is understandable',
How will this understandability be ensured with regard to cognitive
disability and learning impairment? Are we expecting user agent
manufacturers to provide pictorial representations of the textual aspects.

Based on responses from the working group I have some additional
questions, but I don't want to labour the point here, and indeed your
answers may negate some of those questions I already have.

Cheers
Si.

Simon Harper
University of Manchester (UK)