RE: ACTION-258

Comments in line.

Greg wrote:
> 1. Re the proposed 4.4.1, the document normally says "the user agent
> user interface" rather than just "the user interface" (even though I
> wish we could, as the longer version is pretty unwieldy).

Good catch.
Revised:
Proposed:
Three Flashes or Below Threshold: The user agent interface does not contain
anything that flashes more than three times in any one second period, or the
flash is below the general flash and red flash thresholds.

> 2. A possible rewrite of the proposed Intent that could serve as an
> introduction to the 4.4.a and 4.4.b (and the proposed 4.4.c below):
>
> "The intent of this Success Criterion is to guard against inducing
> seizures in individuals with photosensitive seizure disorders.
> Potentially harmful flashes occurs when there is a pair of
> significantly opposing changes in luminance (general flashing), or a
> transition to or from a saturated red occurs irrespective of luminance
> (red flashing).
>
> "In some cases the user agent may have total control over the rate at
> which content flashes, such as when rendering the HTML blink element
> and CSS text-decoration:blink. In other cases the user agent may have
> the ability to override flash rates specified by content authors. In
> both cases the user agent can limit the blink rates to rates and color
> combinations that are extremely unlikely to trigger seizures, either by
> relying on built-in limits chosen for safety or by giving the user
> control over the flash parameters."

I like this wording. Much clearer. Thanks

> 3. Possible revisions to the examples:
>
> Example for 4.4.a: When rendering HTML content that uses the blink
> element or the text-decoration:blink, the user agent flashes the
> content once per second (or any which is less than the three times per
> second rate at which the risk greatly increases).
>
> Example for 4.4.b: When rendering HTML content that uses the blink
> element or the text-decoration:blink, the user agent flashes the
> content at a rate specified in the user preference settings. This
> allows the user to set it to a rate below their own sensitivity
> threshold.

Great rewrite. Much clearer.

> 4. Proposed additional 4.4.c (as we discussed on last week's conference
> call):
>
> "Override flash rates: The user has the option to limit the flash rate
> for any recognized flashing content to less than 3 flashes in any one
> second. (AAA)
>
> Example: If a Web technology allows the author to specify that an
> element is to flash at 4 times each second, and this flashing is
> rendered by the user agent, the user agent either limits the rate to be
> slower than 3 times per second, or allows the user to turn on such a
> limit, or allows the user to specify a limit of their own choosing."

Your wording more clearly captures the intent of my proposed 4.4.b

Hm, you imply that your wording for "override flash rates..." should be in
addition to the proposed 4.4.b. To me they are the same. Am I missing
something?>

Jim