negotiation a.k.a. blending preferences [was: Re: Minutes from ... February 15 2007]

At 1:57 PM -0500 20 02 2007, Jan Richards wrote:
>My action items:
>
>(1) ACTION: JR to will do 3e
>
>3e. Improve statement of configuration requirements for resolving
>settings/preference negotiations (e.g. between platform, browser,
>javascript, and author created preferences - accesskeys, ajax stuff)
>
>REWORDED AS:
>
>3e. Better address the interaction of preferences that are set by
>various levels of technology (i.e. platform, browser, content) and
>by different actors (e.g. authors setting accesskeys and creating
>custom controls, browser-users setting keyboard preferences).

I don't see this as a job for guidelines.

Requirements from disability use cases, yes.

But it is a job for a protocol. A framework for
negotiation/adjudication/incremental-binding of the final concrete
user experience.

The proposed charter for the Ubiquitous Web Applications working
group addresses at least the browser/script/markup-language
layers. These are the people who brought you the XML-flavored
alternative to PHP as the server-side phase of [potentially incremental]
binding to specifics.

We should come up with a framework that works edge to edge from the
user experience through an optional AT layer and the above three
together with server-side techniques such as DISelect and query-based
services.

Al