Re: question about accessible pictures

Hi Lisa,

this question might be better directed to either the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines Group - http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL with a mailing list
w3c-wai-gl@w3.org archived at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl
or perhaps more profitably to the WAI Interest Group at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG whose mailing list is w3c-wai-ig@w3.org archived at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig

Anyway, to answer your question:

If you use Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG - http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG
to learn more) as a format it is relatively easy to define a stylesheet for
images that presents a low-resolution version.

Doing this is described in the W3C Note "Accessibility Features of SVG" at
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/#Different and should suit your purposes.

cheers

Charles McCN