Raw minutes from 1 November UAWG teleconference

1 November 2001 UAWG teleconference

Agenda announcement: 
Participants: Jon Gunderson (Chair), Ian Jacobs (Scribe), 
Tim Lacy, Harvey Bingham, Katie Haritos-Shea, Denis Anson, 
Eric Hansen 

Regrets: David Poehlman, Jim Allan

Absent: Gregory Rosmaita, Rich Schwerdtfeger, Lee Bateman,
Mickey Quenzer

Previous meeting: 22-23 October 2001 face-to-face

Next meeting: 15 November
  [8 November cancelled.]

Reference document 12 September Candidate Recommendation:

508 and UAAG comparison

Refer to mail from Jim/Katie:

and comparision table:

KHS: Your comments welcome. We are still working on this and I expect
it to change substantially by next week.

IJ: Note that "consistent bitmap usage" requirement is part of OS
TL: Yes, that's the case for Windows.

IJ: Thus, covered as part of 7.3.

IJ: Please:

 - Make this look like a technical report.
 - Change "UAAG Techniques" to "UAAG 1.0 Requirements"
 - Get rid of table; I get no information out of the vertical
 - Please indicate in status section that this is a draft and
   that this doesn't represent consensus and that this should
   not be used as a normative reference.

JG: I'd like to see relationships in both directions (508 to UAAG 1.0
and vice versa).

Action KHS: Continue to work on the comparison document with Jim Allan.
Next steps in the recommendation process

JG: Our charter expired yesterday. We will be rechartering to
reflect our current position and timelines. Judy and I will bring
charter to WG.

IJ: We have the AC meeting next week; we apologize in advance for

IJ: We said upon entering CR that we would require three months. Right
now, what's the expectation of the WG? Are people ok with continuing
on this path until the end of December?

 - People are ok to continue in the same direction for now.

Business case

IJ: Judy and I are strategizing. No public document yet. If you have
ideas (e.g., general or on a per-checkpoint basis) please send to the

IJ: Note that some of the benefits will be about accessibility, while
other will be about side benefits. I would like any business case to
not only be about side benefits to implementing accessibility

Test suites and other technical deliverables update

Refer to:

"Notes on discretionary behavior in 
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0"


"How to evaluate a user agent for conformance to UAAG 1.0"

DA: About the "how to", there are a lot of items that require
discussion with developers. The problem with that approach is that
developers may support a functionality in an unusable way.

JG: The review process should also document how a feature is
implemented. For example, it's possible with Quicktime Pro to
reposition captions, but the process of doing it is probably beyond
the capability of most users. Something may be technical possibly, but
not really functionally possible.

IJ: So let's add a section to how to evaluate "What do I do when I
don't know / when I have to draw the line?"

JG: Also, the implementation report includes different rating system,
please mention this in the how to evaluate. Also, indicate that people
should include notes for others.

IJ: I'd like to incorporate "How to evaluate" in UAAG 1.0, e.g., as an

Action IJ: 

 - Add to "How to Evaluate" information about "how to rate whether a
 user agent satisfies a checkpoint"
 - Add definition of user agent while an independent document.

Action JG: Review "How to Evaluate a user agent for conformance to
UAAG 1.0"

Implementation Report Update

JG: Need reports for Mac and Unix. Who wants to look at some
additional user agents this week?

/* No takers */

IJ: I will be talking to Konqueror browsers developers. They have
apparently started implementing some of our features. I will be
pointing them to our implementation report and asking them to
implement ones we have no experience for.

Completed actions

1.IJ: Contact Lofton Henderson, Chris Lilley, John Ferraiolo, Karl
Dubost Aaron Leventhal ,and Jonny Axelsson about participating in FTF
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001OctDec/0021

Done: Meeting held.

2.JG: Contact Glenn Gordon, Aaron Smith, Randy Marsden, and Mark
Nelson about participating in FTF meeting
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001OctDec/0021

Done: Meeting held.

3.JG: Talk about JG's tool and EARL integration at WAI CG.
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JulSep/0188
JG: Will continue to talk with him.

5.JA: Work on a comparison document of UAAG and Section 508 and format
in UAAG style (see Ian's comparison:
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JulSep/0272

Done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001OctDec/0050

Open actions

4.JG: Review Netscape version 6.X 
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JulSep/0191 

6.TL: Review initial implementation report for IE and comment 
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JulSep/0191
TL: I've handed to Rob Relyea. Still on it.

Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

Received on Thursday, 1 November 2001 15:02:14 UTC