Re: [Issue 512] Seeking lower bound on text size requirement

Hello Jon,

Something pixel-based is necessary. Assume you have a device where
a pixel is 20pt (e.g. a projection screen). Defining 9pt as a minimum
is useless, because at the size of half a pixel, you can't write/read
anything. Also, even if your projector had a much higher resolution,
9pt would not work except for people very close to the screen (which
is not how projection is usually used).

pt is an absolute measure, like cm, inch, and so on (well, pt has some
minor variations, but that's largely irrelevant for this discussion).
If you are able to express the limit in pt, you can as well do it in
cm or mm. pt is not related to language, but to typographic tradition.
Some typographic traditions use other units, but there are conversion
factors, so it doesn't really matter.

Also, about control of the hardware: On most OSes, it's easier to
control pixels than to get access to the actual size of the screen.

Regards,   Martin.