Re: Equivalency, Languages, Checkpoint 2.3

Al,
How about this:
<NEW>
2.3 For elements with author specified equivalents, provide easy access to
all equivalents through one of the following mechanisms:
(1) allowing configuration to render one the alternatives instead of the
element;
(2) allowing configuration to render one the alternatives in addition to
the element;
(3) allowing the user to select the element and then inspect its alternatives;
(4) providing a direct link to the alternatives in content, just before or
after the element in document order.

[Priority 1]

Note: For example, if an image element in an HTML document has an
alternative in the form of a text equivalent, provide access to the text
equivalent through at least one of the following mechanisms (1) by
replacing the image with the rendered text equivalent, (2) by rendering the
text equivalent near the rendered image, (3) by allowing the user to select
the image and then inspect the text equivalent, or (4) by allowing the user to
follow a link just after the text equivalent.
</NEW>

Response JRG:
At 11:41 AM 11/1/2000 -0500, Al Gilman wrote:
>At 09:33 AM 2000-11-01 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:
> >I offer the following proposal based on EH [1] proposal:
> >

>AG:: This looks good.  I have some comments and questions, but this wording is
>generally something I could go out and defend to heathens.
>
>-- partial quotes and comments
>
> >2.3 For elements with an author specified equivalents, provide easy access
>

>AG:: drop the 'an,' it conflicts in number with 'equivalents.' [just grammar]

JRG: Agreed

> >to the equivalents through one of the following mechanisms:
>
>AG:: possible edit:
>
>to all equivalents through one or more of the following mechanisms:
>
>[rationale point 1: If 'all' vs. 'the' equivalents sends us off into another
>rathole on symmetry, I can live with 'the.'  But 'all' is modestly better in
>getting the message across.]
>
>[rationale point 2: It would probably be best to say "at least one" of the
>following mechanisms, or "one or more" of the following mechanisms, just so
>nobody reads this as "one and only one."  This is a little more wordy and
>pedantic, but it is more precise and reader-proof.]

JRG: Ian and Eric can help here with the final language

> >(1) allowing configuration to render one or more of the alternatives
> >instead of the element;
> >(2) allowing configuration to render one or more of the alternatives in
> >addition to the element;
>
>AG:: In options 1 & 2 I regard the addition of "or more" as better for the
>user.  On the other hand, while small, I would tend to view this as a
>substantive change.  Was the question of 'one' vs. "one or more" discussed in
>any depth in the development of the checkpoint, or is this small difference
>"all the same thing" at the (rough) level of precision of the existing rough
>consensus?

JRG: We could leave it at one, but the other options 3 and 4 already talk
about access ti more than one.  An option could be to say "one of the
alternatives " or something like that.