Re: Equivalency, Languages, Checkpoint 2.3

At 09:33 AM 2000-11-01 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>I offer the following proposal based on EH [1] proposal:

AG:: This looks good.  I have some comments and questions, but this wording is
generally something I could go out and defend to heathens.

-- partial quotes and comments

>2.3 For elements with an author specified equivalents, provide easy access

AG:: drop the 'an,' it conflicts in number with 'equivalents.' [just grammar]

>to the equivalents through one of the following mechanisms:

AG:: possible edit:

to all equivalents through one or more of the following mechanisms:

[rationale point 1: If 'all' vs. 'the' equivalents sends us off into another
rathole on symmetry, I can live with 'the.'  But 'all' is modestly better in
getting the message across.]

[rationale point 2: It would probably be best to say "at least one" of the
following mechanisms, or "one or more" of the following mechanisms, just so
nobody reads this as "one and only one."  This is a little more wordy and
pedantic, but it is more precise and reader-proof.]

>(1) allowing configuration to render one or more of the alternatives
>instead of the element;
>(2) allowing configuration to render one or more of the alternatives in
>addition to the element;

AG:: In options 1 & 2 I regard the addition of "or more" as better for the
user.  On the other hand, while small, I would tend to view this as a
substantive change.  Was the question of 'one' vs. "one or more" discussed in
any depth in the development of the checkpoint, or is this small difference
"all the same thing" at the (rough) level of precision of the existing rough
consensus?

>(3) allowing the user to select the element and then inspect its
alternatives;

AG::  consider for clarity the optional wording:

(3) allowing the user to select the element and, while it is selected, inspect
its alternatives.

[rationale:  While sequence is often interpreted colloquially to indicate
causality, the fact that the inspection is here contingent on selection is not
precisely stated by the 'and then' phraseology.]

>(4) providing a direct link to the alternatives in content, just before or
>after the element in document order.
>[Priority 1]

Al

-- full quote as was (all quote from here)

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0181.html>http://