Re: Some discussion points for issue 294

"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> note: i have been attempting to post this to the UA list since i was able
> to retrieve it on 10 august, but haven't been able to do so due to
> continuing connectivity problems...  don't know if the WG has resolved this
> issue or not, as this was the last message i received from the UA list
> until september 27, and my current connection's too precarious to fire up a
> UA to check the issues list (i've already lost connection thrice just
> typing this intro), but here are my 2 cents worth/gut reaction to ian's
> list of talking points raised by his review of the 28 July 2000 draft of
> UAAG with Tantek Çelik...

Gregory,

The Working Group resolved at the 17 August teleconference
(refer to summary from Chair [1]) to accept the proposal to
allow claims of conformance for software used in tandem provided
that all components be identified.

Also, per the same resolution to issue 294, the following
text about the importance of accessibility by default
appears in the 29 September Guidelines [3], section 3.2:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
User agent developers are strongly encouraged to design software that
conforms in the default configuration. Users may not be able to
install complementary software because the default configuration does
not allow it easily (e.g., the mechanisms for retrieving and
installing plug-ins are not accessible by default), because they don't
have access privileges on a public computer, etc. In order for people
to use the software at all, the installation procedure (and any
subsequent software update procedures) must be accessible according to
the guidelines of this document. For example, the software must
provide device-independent access and accessible documentation of the
installation.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

For previous discussions on accessible installation, refer to:

 1) Minutes of 10 December 1999 IBM face to face meeting [4]
 2) Deletion of explicit mention of "installation, documentation,
    UI configuration" from checkpoint 1.1 per resolution of
    31 August teleconference [5] (there were no subsequent
    objections on the list).

The following text appears in section 1.2 of the 29 September
draft:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
The user agent installation procedure needs to be accessible
otherwise the user will not be able to use it at all.
Most of the requirements in this document should be adopted for the
installation procedure to ensure its accessibility.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Recall also that installation according to system conventions
is covered by checkpoint 5.8.

 - Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0267.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0244.html