Re: Proposal to fix (persistent) problem with priority of checkpoint 6.1

"Hansen, Eric" wrote:

> In order to comment on the adequacy of this change, I need a little
> clarification.
>
> Is it correct that the document and recent working group agreements do _not_
> require writing data back to the DOM?

Only for those changes to the document object possible through the user
interface.

> We allow user agents to make whatever
> repair they do _during load_ without being impinged upon by our guidelines.
> We have had a lot of discussion about repair functions (and even more may be
> due), but is it correct that we have not agreed to any post-load repair
> function that writes back to the DOM?

No. We haven't said that the user agent can't initiate repairs. We've
said
that the user agent doesn't need to allow expose writing through an API
in the general case (this would make the UA an authoring tool). We used
to have such a requirement but narrowed its scope to "those changes
already
available through the UA's UI."

> I do want to submit the idea that if we do require post-load repair that
> writes to the DOM, then those actions constitute authoring, making the user
> agent an authoring tool and therefore making the ATAG 1.0 document relevant.

Given my comment above, I don't think that the authoring requirements
are
relevant since the intention is not to require real authoring through
either
the UI or an API.

 - Ian