Re: Checkpoint 4.6: question about "rewind"

At 2000-08-30 19:56-0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Al Gilman wrote:
> >

> > What about the controls that one gets with QuickTime, RealPlayer, and
> > Windows Media Player?  Is there a common core of tape-like functions?  If
> > there is a central tendency among the available players that meets our
> > needs, we should align our definition with that, not just invent one.
>
>Windows Media player offers both: rewind a little, rewind to the
>beginning
>(according to the help documentation)
>
>RealPlayer offers rewind a little (but there is buffering).
>To go back to the beginning, you stop the stream, then hit play.
>
>QuickTime player on Windows offers three functionalities
>(for both forward and reverse directions):
>
>  a) Back to beginning/end
>  b) Step back/forward
>  c) Fast reverse/forward.
>
>Since the "fast reverse" functionality is implemented by at
>least these three tools, I think we should change checkpoint 4.6
>to read "start, stop, pause, resume, fast advance, and
>fast rewind audio, video, and animations".

HB: I like that, but would edit: "start, stop, pause, resume, fast advance,
and
fast reverse content that is audio, video, or animations, or several of these."

HB: Note: Stop interrupts either fast advance or fast reverse. A useful
side-effect during the fast motion is the audio and/or video flash-by,
since significant clues to position are recognizable, even though the
detail is not.

>We can define "fast advance" and "fast rewind" in the techniques
>document and say, for example, that the speed of the advance/rewind
>may vary based on how long the user requests it, etc.
>
>  - Ian
>
>P.S. I would like to find more implementation information on
>audio and animation support.

HB: I have recent experience with the convenience of fast backing up and
going forward within a song as well as stepping forward and back song-to-song
in an audio CD. I can do this both with a portable CD player, and with the
PC software Audioplayer 32, that simulates that interface. Both show
song number, and once started playing the time from start of song.
Both provide fast slew within a song, in either direction. So does my
hardware CD player.

HB: I made a crib-sheet identified all the start times within each song
where I
had a part, and the words there.

HB: While memorizing the parts I needed to sing, I'd regularly slew to the
desired start time, listen (and sing), then slew back to that start time.
I'd repeat this process within a song till I knew my part, only listening
to that small segment I was learning.

At 2000-08-29 13:58-0400,Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote: <snip>
 > I propose that "rewind to the beginning" be changed
 > back to "rewind", since I believe the intent of the WG
 > was to have VCR-type controls.

HB: The VCR-type controls imply a linear medium. Stopping before finished
works,
but it is a nuisance to accurately position. I do not believe the intent of the
WG was to only consider linear medium.

HB: Continuing my experience above, I also had an audio tape of just the songs
we were learning. I had no track and time from start indicators in my car. I
found I could use fast forward and rewind, guessing the time, using as an aid
the fast audio, and repositioning by "counting the seconds" at the fast rewind
rate to position for repeating a segment.

HB: The CD example of being able to select a particular song track is more
convenient than if it were limited to the linear medium, either VCR-type or
audio tape.

Regards/Harvey Bingham  (hbingham@acm.org)