Re: Some discussion points for issue 294

At 12:54 AM 8/10/2000 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> >
> > Two thoughts:
> >
> > 1. The definition of native support  is too strcit - if a plug-in is
> > required, or certain  modules of a modular package, then conformance should
> > be determined for the package of things required. The point is just to be
> > clear about what it is for which conformance is claimed.
>
>That does seem more flexible to me, but I have heard people argue that
>accessibility through add-ons and plug-ins was not acceptable (I'm not
>quoting anyone on that, however). Are there people in the WG who feel
>that the browser must conform
>   a) without the possibility of adding software to some "core" user
>      agent (if such a thing exists), and
>   b) conformance must be based on default settings (for those parts
>      of conformance that are configurable)?

JRG: My feeling is that adding accessibility features to an existing
product through some type of service pack installation is an acceptable and
important way to improve accessibility and potentially claim
conformance.  In this case any claim to conformance must clearly state what
service pack releases or plug-ins must be installed with the product.

New versions of the product though should install the "accessibility"
service pack features or plug-ins as part of the standard
installation.  Accessibility features may not be enabled in the default
configuration, but the user would not be dependent on installing a service
pack or plug-in to get the accessibility features.  Accessibility features
should be designed with the thought of improving the usability of the user
agent for all users, so any new features for accessibility should help
people without disabilities. Including the accessibility features in the
standard installation is very important in public access sites, like
educational and library settings, where the user may not have operating
system permissions to install service packs or plug-ins or even understand
that this needs to be done to get accessibility features.

Of course new and improved accessibility features can be part of updates,
plug-ins and service packs, but if the user agent already conforms then the
new and improved features will probably not affect the conformance of the
user agent.