Re: Tenative meeting on the DOM with AT vendors for the User Agent Guidelines

Mark,

While the application model may not reside in the DOM it is the best place
to start with the issue given that things like an event model are already
defined here. It would also be good for you and others to look at what is
being proposed for DOM 3 and what is in DOM 2, ... aside from
accessibility. There are alot of UI related components in here that are
extensions to the Core DOM but which are handled by the DOM working group.
The DOM is being extended to support UIs. My guess is the DOM will end up
being a kind of layered model where you peel back parts of the onion for
levels of applicability.

In any case, the job of this DOM WG editorial team will be to address the
issues you are raising. As for referring to the DOM or PF working group
stepping back to look at the issue that is what the editorial team is for.
Furthermore, this is much more than just an accessibility issue and should
not be confined to a PF work item. This will effect anyone who wishes to
make pervasive solutions accessible by traditionally considered
non-disabled users as well. I am rather excited about the opportunity to
get rid of the differentiation factor.

I guess my point is that we can sit back and fret about it or solve the
problem, much the same we all did with Java in Palo Alto 3-4 years ago.

I vote for solving the problem. The biggest cat out of the bag is not the
events in DOM 2 but the fact that all these pervasive devices and some
important cross-platform user agents are inaccessible.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Lead Architect, IBM Special Needs Systems
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/rich.htm

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

menovak@facstaff.wisc.edu (mark novak) on 02/01/2000 12:31:32 PM