Re: EOWG - surfing without a mouse

aloha, eric!

thank you for taking the time to compile such a useful resource...

i do have a few comments on the page:

1) in the English version of Opera, the default keystroke for moving from
link-to-link is Control+DownArrow to move ahead one link and
Control+UpArrow to move back one link -- using the tab key will work,
provided that there aren't any forms on the page, as the TAB key is
reserved for moving from form control to form control, and initially
pressing TAB on a page which contains a form, moves the application
cursor/point-of-regard to the first form control...  once in "forms mode"
repeated tabbing merely cycles one through all of the available form
controls, until the user uses the F9 keystroke to remove focus from the
form...  note that one MUST use the F9 command to escape from forms mode,
as Control+UpArrow and Control+DownArrow do not move the
point-of-regard/cursor out of the form, as one might expect...

2) in an attempt to define minimal conformance for UAAG checkpoint 10.5

quote
           Allow the user to configure the user agent so that the user's
           preferred one-step operations may be activated with a single
           input command (e.g., key stroke, voice command, etc.).
           [Priority 2]
           Note: User agents are not required to provide single command
           activation of all user agent functionalities at once, only some
           of them. Furthermore, in some modes of interaction (e.g., when
           the user is entering text), the number of single commands
           available will be significantly reduced. This checkpoint is an
           important special case of checkpoint 10.4.
unquote

Kitch Barnicle, of the TRACE R&D Center, posted a list of default
keybindings for IE, Netscape Navigator and Composer, and Opera to the User
Agent Working Group's mailing list...  her post is archived at: (long URI
warning)
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0433.html>
and her list of single-stroke command keystroke commands is available at
the following (incredibly long) URI:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/att-0433/01-single_key.htm>

3) could you please make a non-table-ized version of the keystroke commands
available?  when accessed via Lynx (version 2.8.3dev.17), the contents of
the table read as follows:

    Functie
    IE
    Netscape
    Opera
    One page forward
    Alt+right cursor
    Alt+right cursor and Alt+]
    Alt+right cursor
    One page back
    Alt+linker cursor
    Alt+left cursor and Alt+[
    Alt+left cursor
    Top of document
    PgUp
    End of document
    End
    PgDn
    End
    Alt+home
    Control+H
    Alt+N +E
    Open new window
    Control+N
    Control+N
    Control+N
    Open new page
    Control+O
    Control+O
    Control+O
    Close window
    Control+W
    Control+W
    Control+W
    Print
    Control+P
    Control+P
    Control+P
    Search / Find
    Control+F
    -
    Control+F or F3
    Page information
    -
    Control+I
    -
    Open favorites
    Control+I
    -
    -
    Edit bookmarks
    Control+B
    Control+B
    -
    Reload document
    F5
    Control+R
    F5 or Control+R
    Reload frame
    Alt+F5
    Control+R
    Alt+F5
    Reload Page
    Control+F5
    Control+R
    Control+F5
    Stop loading
    Escape
    Escape
    Escape
    Next frame
    Control+Tab or F6
    Control+Tab
    -
    Back one frame
    Control+shift+Tab
    Control+shift+Tab
    -
    Next link
    Tab
    Tab
    Tab
    Bookmark this page
    Control+D
    Control+D
    Control+T
    Example on screen
    F11
    -
    F11
    View page source
    -
    -
    F3
    View frame source
    -
    -
    Alt+F3
    Goto address
    F6
    F2
    Enlarge fontsize
    Control+]
    Decrease fontsize
    Control+[

far from the most unintelligible linearized table that i've ever heard, but
a definition list as an alternative to the table would be a definite
improvement to the overall usability of the page...  and there are definite
places (such as the enlarge and decrease font size, where it is completely
unclear from the linearized version to which browser the keybinding
belongs...  if building a definition list along the lines:

Enlarge Fontsize
         IE: n/a
         Netscape: n/a
         Opera: Control+] (Right Bracket)
Decrease Fontsize
         IE: n/a
         Netscape: n/a
         Opera: Control+[ (Left Bracket)

(using the ABBR element to title the abbreviation n/a as "not applicable")

doesn't appeal to you, could you make the page available via a link that
references some form of Tablin, the ER WG's table linearizer, either by
server-side script, proxy server, and/or a (clearly demarcated)
auto-submission button, more information about which can be found at:
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/Tablin/>
and <http://www.w3.org/WAI/setup/>

if you want to know more about Tablin, please ask daniel dardallier,
courtesy of the ER-IG mailing list:
    <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
in order that others might benefit from his expertise, as it is daniel who
maintains Tablin

i hope you find these comments useful -- if you would like more
information, please contact me via the WAI lists, so that we can continue
this dialogue in public, where others might have more to contribute...

gregory.

PS: pardon my anglo-centrism, but is there an english version of your
site?  do you know of a reliable dutch-to-english auto-translator through
which i could create a link to your site for english-speakers?

At 05:03 PM 6/16/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>In the WAI - Education and Outreach Working Group I proposed to put a page
>up with keyboard shortcuts for three different browsers. This could make
>people aware of problems and possibilities of not using a mouse (for blind
>people). The thought was that the shortcuts would differ from country to
>country. I think the only way is to know that for sure is to try it. So I
>took the liberty of just translating our Dutch page 'surfing without a
>mouse' into English. Now Would like to ask you if people from different
>countries could have a look at it and see if the named shortcuts work of
>not. Please send your comments to me and if you agree I will send a resume
>of the reactions back.
>
>The page is: www.bartimeus.nl/access/week252000eng.html
>
>For people who like to read Dutch, the address of the Dutch page is:
>www.bartimeus.nl/access/week252000.html
>
>Kindest regards
>
>Eric Velleman
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>H. Snetselaar
>Bartimeus Educational Institute for the Blind and Partially Sighted
>Utrechtseweg 84, 3702 AD  Zeist, the Netherlands
>Tel: +31-(0)30-6982211 or +31(0)30-6982350
>Fax: +31-(0)30-6982347
>E-mail: H.Snetselaar@bartimeus.nl
>Website: www.bartimeus.nl

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a
blank piece of paper until the drops of blood
form on your forehead.            -- Gene Fowler
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
WebMonster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
      <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>