Re: voice modes used for orientation (was Re: Raw minutes of 15 June UA Guidelines)

Thank you both, Gregory for telling and Harvey for asking.

If you will forgive my theorizing about this practice a little, I am going
to brain dump at y'all and it probably doesn't affect the UA document of
the moment but it somehow belongs in the knowledgebase of the WAI as a
whole.  This is some of the background or rationale that we need to be
centralizing for use across topics.

For my purposes, I would like to say that these different-voice categories
mix two kinds of distinctions which I will group as context and mood.

The screen-reader browse process has two fingers in the book: the
application cursor and the reading cursor.  The user can read from either
one without moving the other.  So the user needs to know from which finger
the voice is reading.  That is a context indication.  Other aspects of
context have to do with where you are in the overall session stack or
desktop: In the outermost (task bar) chrome; in the chrome of which
window, identified by its application and document; in which frame inside
which browser+document window.

The classic mood indication is the distinction between messages and alerts.
 Both of these are information about events that have happened.  The
messages are just describing noteworthy but normal happenings.  The alerts
are messages about situations which are flat out errors or are considered
risky or abnormal enough so that the system wants to make sure that the
user is aware of them.  These things sometimes you have to acknowledge them
to get them to go away and get the computer to get on with what you want to
do.  Most annoying to me at times.

Messages and alerts are a protocol reflecting severity-graded information
transactions relating to the ongoing process.  Confirm cycles are a
protocol reflecting severity-graded classes of control transactions.

I am sure this is all spelled out as dialogistics in the HCI literature
somewhere -- aside from that literature not covering the screen reader case.

Does the Microsoft Logo Program literature get this analytic about a
reference model for UI design?  Is anyone else aware of HCI literature that
covers the concepts I am groping toward?

PS:  Does EmacSpeak or any screen reader do anything as far as prosodic
inflection for quotes and parenthetical remarks buried in a text?  Or is
this just covered in your tuning of "punctuation verbosity"?

Al