Re: Proposed clarification to checkpoints 3.3, 3.5, 3.6

The "turn images off" checkpoint covers this case (admittedly at P2).

Is that enough?

Charles McCN

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Jon Gunderson wrote:

  > Ian,
  > For some types of cognitive disabilities, people with visual impairments
  > and some types of screen reder and magnification software my
  > understanding  was that it was important to turn off the
  > rendering or not allow the rendering of video.
  > Freeze may work for many people, but may not work for
  > all people.  What is the advantage of freezing a frame?

  It sounds like there are a couple of requirements:
  1) Stop things from moving
  2) Stop things from being too busy (e.g., don't open
     too many viewports).

  But is "don't render content" a requirement? If so, then
  why (still) video content and not graphically rendered
  text? Or graphics? I don't think we have a requirement
  for "make this page less busy" - the closest we get is
  "don't open too many viewports".

  So what are the accessibility requirements surrounding
  video and animation that freezing does not address?

   - Ian