Re: PROPOSAL: Delete checkpoint 10.4 Allow the user to change the input configuration. [Priority 2]

Ian,
Can you give an example of any other input configuration that is useful for
accessibility except changing single command access?

1. We already have a requirement that all functions be accessible through
the keyboard (1.3)
2. We say to use system conventions (5.8)
3. Allow single key or command configuration (10.5)
4. Configuration of graphical controls (10.9)
5. Saving custom and restoring default configuration information (including
keyboard bindings) are in checkpoint 10.7

What additional functionality does checkpoint 10.4 add that can be put in a
minimal requirement for satisfying the checkpoint?

We need just one requirement of a minimal specification to satisfy the
checkpoint that is not covered somewhere else.

NOTE: I would modify the minimum requirement of 10.5 to include either
single key or modifier + single key for configuration of systems with
keyboards.  This would generalize 10.5, but still provide the single key
functionality for those that want just a single key.

Jon

At 03:11 AM 5/23/00 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Jon Gunderson wrote:
> >
> > The working group discussed the minimum requirements for Checkpoint 10.4
> > Allow the user to change the input configuration. [Priority 2].  After
> > reviewing the techniques document the minimum requirements seemed to be
> > already covered in other checkpoints, notably 10.5, 10.7, 10.9 and 5.8.
> >
> > Is there anything that is not in these other checkpoints that could be used
> > as the minimum requirement for conforming to 10.4?  If not then I think we
> > should delete the checkpoint.
>
>I object.
>
>1) 10.5 talks about single-key access, not general configuration.
>2) 10.7 talks about saving configurations persistently
>3) 10.9 talks about graphical UI configuration
>4) 5.8 talks about following conventions
>
>While 10.5 comes closest to ensuring configurability of the
>keyboard, it is specifically for single-key access.
>
>Therefore, while I haven't participated in the discussions on
>this topic since I'm on the road, I don't agree that the requirement
>of 10.4 is covered in other checkpoints.
>
>  - Ian
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group