RE: Document 'content' includes all element types and attributes (yes/no?)

[I did want to have a semi-detached discussion in PF, but I think this
message may be  clear enough that it helps with today's meeting. This
message was originally sent over the PF list. -Al]

At 09:24 AM 2000-04-27 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Are we in violent agreement here? I have argued in the UA group that
>
>1. Everything needs to be available somehow (for example through a source
>view)
>
>and
>
>2. That for things which are specified as having some kind of rendering a
>source view or suchlike is insufficient, and they should be available to a
>user in a rendered format.

Yes.  That statement I can readily agree with.

My chief concern as regards the UAAG is that nothing be said in the
checkpoints which gives readers the impression that the scope of Guideline
2 is somehow narrower than what you state as point 1. in the above
recapitulation.

There are multiple requirements affecting the view repertory:

[P1] You gotta give access to everything.

[P2] You gotta take all readily achievable measures to make it usable.

[P2/P3] Where there are multiple readily achievable presentations that have
different usable/unusable characteristics for different groups, you have to
give the user a choice.  [priority level per view-alternative-choice
depends on the worst case usability rating for all groups]

Only the first of these fits under Guideline 2, so far as I can see.  The
way we state the second should not be allowed to create the appearance of
watering down the first.

Al

http://www.w3.org/WAI