Re: new real player 7

Hmm. Me too.

(I realise that is not usually very helpful, but I basically agree with Al
entirely. Note that there are plenty of other posssible scenarios, not least
of which are poeple trying to work together...)

Charles McCN

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Al Gilman wrote:

  At 01:25 PM 2000-03-30 -0500, Madeleine Rothberg wrote:
  >Thanks for alerting me to this, David. We're playing with it but haven't
  >yet figured out how to code the audio descriptions to be turned on and off.
  >They don't seem to be using either a SMIL 1.0-like attribute (similar to the
  >system-captions attribute) or the SMIL-Boston attribute systemAudioDesc.
  >
  >Also, we noticed that they made captions and audio descriptions mutually
  >exclusive by using radio buttons to choose between them. Anyone besides
  >us think it would be useful to have independent control over the two
  >features?

  Not just yes, but !@#$ yes, as Love would say <grin>.

  We need your consensus to prod PF into taking the position that _all_ of
  these things belong as 'bag' semantics where a multiple selection is
  possible in the base-level definition, and the "pick only one" behavior is
  not the base definition but an overlaid default, which can be rolled back
  by the right kind of user intervention.

  For a concrete scenario (just one stab):

  The person wishing both captions and audio descriptions has some hearing
  loss but not total; and also enough vision impairment to use a screen
  magnifier.  The captions are necessary because in this cinema_verite the
  dialog is in barely decipherable grunts, while the audio descriptions are
  articulated with a bell-like tone that needs no text alternative.  So the
  user processes the dialog in audio+caption+magnifier and catches up with
  what the magnifier leaves out by the audio descriptions in audio.

  [The generic answer is that "both" ususally involves a scenario with a user
  with functional impairment, but not total functional loss, in two modes.]