Re: Sound similarities

10-11-99 Steve_Anderson@Dragonsys.com wrote:
>...text written with speech synthesis in mind
>might not be good for speech recognition. For example, if two icons have tags
>"Picture B" and "Picture D", a good speech synthesizer would have no trouble.
>But the "e" set of letters (e.g. b, d, e, etc.) are notoriously hard for a
>recognition system to distinguish because they're so similar. Not a great
>example, perhaps, but you get the idea.

Hi
Speech recognition is improving while having far to go before being
ubiquitous. This BYTE article: "Soundcard Choice Imparts Speech
Recognition," Part II, by Martin J. Furey, III: In the Consumer-price ($100
and under) range, some test good enough to be worth using
http://www.byte.com/feature/BYT19991103S0001?ls=BYTENL_991108_soundcards
notes speech recognition is a fussy beast. Sound similarities are where it
often fails for folks with compromised speech as computers can't cope with
inconsistent speech. Newer programs use continuous recognition that work
best with consistently spoken phrases so it doesn't seem that speech
recognition will yield a "1 stroke" command structure soon. Speaking to
Write http://www.edc.org/spk2wrt is the site for information on speech
recognition & folks with disabilities. The post "Soft voice"
http://www.edc.org/spk2wrt/hypermail/1499.html suggests current issues.

Since advanced interfaces are usually less effective than we'd like
keystroke commands should be treated as what are mostly to be usable. My
thought is to say that 1 key keyboard commands give an easy means of Web
navigation using what is currently the most common input device until it is
replaced by a more advanced technique. The goal isn't to elevate the
keyboard only to clearly note how certain command structures are in
valuable. Where in the Guildline to do that is the question. Possible
answers will follow when I get something typed! Thanks to Jon Gunderson &
Gregory J. Rosmaita for their responses.

Regards,
Bryan

->"It has been said the pebbles can't stop the avalanche, guess the pebbles
didn't have access to the Web!"