Re: October 4 Guideline suggested modifications

schwer@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Here are my suggested modifications to the latest user agent guidelines:
>
> 1. In the first paragraph of the abstract you need to remove from:
>
> ,assistive technologies (screen readers, ...) to the end of the paragraph. You
> may want to include authoring tools as this can be considered a user agent.

Like Mark in another email, I think that mentioning them here as part of
communication is ok. However, there are fewer references in the 5
October
draft, so your point is well taken.

> In the line that ends with (MathML). you should append as well as system
> specific implementation techniques.

I've added to techniques instead, since 5 October draft removes this.

> 3. In the introduction:
>
> In the last sentence of this section you will want to remove from "dependent
> user agents such as screen readers" to the end of the sentence.

Deleted.

> 4. Checkpoint 1.6: What output device API are you referring to? Are you talking
> about the GDI layer in Windows or the SAPI API. This is not clear.

ISSUE for discussion at a teleconf.

> 5. Checkpoint 2.2. Replace and/or with and.

Yes.

> 6. Add a Checkpoint 2.9 that states:
>
> Maintain consistent keyboard action functionality with each user agent software
> release. (Priority 2 or 3)

This is covered in 9.12 (of 4 Oct draft) I believe we decided in a
teleconf (though I'm too
lazy to look for the resolution right now; I will on demand, however)
not
to include a specific point for the keyboard but to mention the keyboard
in the
checkpoint about consistency across versions.

> 7. Checkpoint 3.2
>
> Remove the first sentence. Modify the second sentence to:
>
> "Ensure that the user has access to the content to an element selected by the
> user either through programmatic means by a dependent user agent or directly if
> your solution is a Voice Browser.

N/A since deleted in current draft.

> 8. Checkpoint 3.6. Comment: Why would you do this? Is it to aggravate the page
> author for not following accessibility guidelines?

No, this is because the author can either not specify "alt" or specify
null alt.
In the former case, they should be chastized for not obeying the spec.
In the latter
case, they may be justified by consciously choosing null alt text. For
example, the
image may have purely graphical function, in which case alt text might
be distracting
or annoying.

> 9. Guideline 4 second paragraph
>
> Typo: Replace recognizes with recognize.

Fixed.

> 10. Checkpoint 4.5
>
> Should be reworded to say "selectively turn on and off" This could be
> interpreted as all or nothing.

Fixed since deleted in favor of "select from among available tracks".

> 11. Checkpoint 4.12
>
> "with screen readers" should be replaced with "of some screen readers"

Ok.

> 12. Add a new Checkpoint 6.7
>
> 6.7 Support plug-in and virtual machine system conventions for loading and
> running an assistive technology. For example, the Sun Java virtual machine
> supports loading and running of assistive technologies. (priority 1)

Discussed/Resolved at 20 October teleconf.

> 13. Remove Checkpoint 8.3. This is no longer applicable.

Moved to appendix

> 14. Remove Checkpoint 9.2 or reword it to only encompass voice browsers.

Merged with another checkpoint.

> 15. Remove Checkpoint 9.3. This is no longer applicable.

This has been preserved for all user agents.

> 16. Remove Checkpoints 9.4 and 9.9 or modify it to only encompass voice
> browsers.

Both moved to the appendix.

Thanks Rich,

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814