Re: October 4 Guideline suggested modifications

see comments below at MN:

At 10:26 AM 10/6/99, schwer@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Here are my suggested modifications to the latest user agent guidelines:
>
>1. In the first paragraph of the abstract you need to remove from:
>
>,assistive technologies (screen readers, ...) to the end of the paragraph. You
>may want to include authoring tools as this can be considered a user agent.
>
>2. Third paragraph of abstract:
>
>In the line that ends with (MathML). you should append as well as system
>specific implementation techniques.
>
>3. In the introduction:
>
>In the last sentence of this section you will want to remove from "dependent
>user agents such as screen readers" to the end of the sentence.
>
>This is because we no longer address dependent user agents.

MN:  Understanding that we are removing the "terminology" dependent user
agents from the checkpoints/guidelines, however it may still be useful
to mention some level of interaction, or some such wording, with other
technologies in the introduction.  These need not be called  dependent user
agents, or dependent user agents alone, perhaps automated testing tools,
scripting tools, etc., any other technology that will benefit by the things
the UA guidelines recommend be followed.  Thoughts ?

>4. Checkpoint 1.6: What output device API are you referring to? Are you talking
>about the GDI layer in Windows or the SAPI API. This is not clear.
>
>5. Checkpoint 2.2. Replace and/or with and.
>
>6. Add a Checkpoint 2.9 that states:
>
>Maintain consistent keyboard action functionality with each user agent software
>release. (Priority 2 or 3)
>
>7. Checkpoint 3.2
>
>Remove the first sentence. Modify the second sentence to:
>
>"Ensure that the user has access to the content to an element selected by the
>user either through programmatic means by a dependent user agent or directly if
>your solution is a Voice Browser.
>
>8. Checkpoint 3.6. Comment: Why would you do this? Is it to aggravate the page
>author for not following accessibility guidelines?
>
>9. Guideline 4 second paragraph
>
>Typo: Replace recognizes with recognize.
>
>10. Checkpoint 4.5
>
>Should be reworded to say "selectively turn on and off" This could be
>interpreted as all or nothing.
>
>11. Checkpoint 4.12
>
>"with screen readers" should be replaced with "of some screen readers"
>
>12. Add a new Checkpoint 6.7
>
>6.7 Support plug-in and virtual machine system conventions for loading and
>running an assistive technology. For example, the Sun Java virtual machine
>supports loading and running of assistive technologies. (priority 1)

MN:  I have half an idea what is meant by this, in terms of UAs, but would
surely
like to see this reworded prior to inclusion such that the UA portion is more
clear, esp. before going with P1.