Re: Proposed Note about developer-level information

I have send Judy Brewer an e-mail about the conformance issue.  I think
that WAI as a group needs to decide how people will use verify conformance.

1. Will it be left up to developers themselves?
2. Will consumers be able to evaulate independently?
3. Should there be a group that validates claims of conformance?

Jon

At 10:11 PM 10/3/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,
>
>In my review of NN 4.6 [1] and from other reviews,
>it is apparent that some of the checkpoints cannot be
>verified by mere mortals; developer documentation or
>assistance is required. In particular, the following
>information is difficult to ascertain without detailed
>specs:
>
>  1) Does the UA support all functionalities through a given
>     input or output device API?
>  2) Does the UA support a spec (W3C or other) 100%? Vendor claims
>     are often exaggerated.
>  3) What information is made available through software APIs?
>     (user interface controls, document object model, etc.)
>  4) If it's possible to control the UA through an API, how is this
>     done?
>
>I propose that we include a Note in the document warning readers
>that some of the checkpoints will be difficult to verify without
>details from developers. For instance, in the section on Conformance,
>we might say:
>
><BLOCKQUOTE>
>Note. While the checkpoints have been designed to be verifiable, some
>may be difficult to verify without documentation from vendors about
>what features and APIs they support.
></BLOCKQUOTE>
>
> - Ian
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/uagl-checklist-nn4.60
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870