Re: checkpoint 9.1

thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Here's 9.1 for reference again:
>
> 9.1 Provide a mechanism for highlighting and identifying (through a standard
> interface where available) the current view, selection, and focus.
>
> Is the following a fairly faithful representation of the intent in, say, a
> Windows environment?
>
> Ensure that the user can detect which/what is the current view, the current
> selection in that view and the focus.

I agree that this is the goal. However, if we ask how this is ensured,
the UA has to do something. Hence we immediately fall back on "The
user agent has to provide a mechanism..." The goal is user access,
but where possible, we're trying to tell UA developers what to do
to achieve that goal.

There  is only one checkpoint with the verb "ensure" in it
("ensure that all functionalities are accessible through the keyboard").
"Ensure" is used in guideline text, where the goal can be emphasized
more than the means.

> Expose the current view, selection, and
> focus to assistive technology.

This is already covered explicitly in checkpoint 12.2:

   Provide programmatic read and write access to user
   agent functionalities and user interface controls
  (including selection and focus) by using operating
   system and development language accessibility
   resources and conventions.

> If I have three views/frames/windows in a row, and the current view always
> contains the system caret and I can't select anything, is checkpoint 9.1
> satisfied? Instead of the system caret, what I change the border of the current
> view to yellow (changeable, of course)?

That works for me (as long as the color can be set by the user).