Re: checkpoint 6.6

thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Here is 6.6:
>
> Allow the user to control selection highlighting (e.g., foreground
> and background color).
>
> Sure that is a nifty idea. It is also another setting, which is complexity.
> But, since selection is usually reverse video, my question is, has that
> ever been done before?

Sure, I can do it in Netscape Navigator (4.x) in Linux. In my
"app-defaults" file for Navigator, I say:

*selectForeground*selectForeground:     #000000
*selectBackground:                      #D15FEE

This gives me a purplish selection background color that works for
both gray and white backgrounds. In fact, that's why I changed
the colors for myself from the defaults: the default selection
color does not render well against white on my laptop's LCD screen.

> Has this checkpoint been given adequate thought?

There are other ways that the user may control
focus highlighting by using CSS2 dynamic outlines [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/ui.html#q5

> If it has never been done before, if no one has seen selectable
> selection colors, then I think this is an example of a priority one
> checkpoint that belongs in the priority three bucket, at best.

In my particular case, since highlighting is done by
color, I need to ensure adequate color contrast to meet
my needs. If highlight were done using another technique,
I might not need as much control.

 _ Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814