--------------------------------------
Date: 8/20/99 9:40 AM
To: Madeleine Rothberg
From: Jon Gunderson
This was included primarily for Internationalization. Captioning,
description languages and signing often times need to be in many languages,
so if the document (i.e. a SMIL document) provides choices for captioning
langauge, etc... the user agent should support the user being able to
select the track of their choice.  I don't know if there are any current
players that support multiple captioning tracks, but SMIL specification
does support the markup to provide multiple tracks.  This checkpoint
therefore is designed to encourage developers to consider
internationalization issues and the effects on disability.  Supporting
multiple languages is an important topic not only within WAI (see
discussions in the Web Content Group), but an important issues throughout
the W3C.

Jon

At 06:00 PM 8/19/99 -0500, thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

>Here's 7.6
>
>7.6 If a technology allows for more than one caption or description track
(e.g.,
>caption, auditory description, video of sign language, etc.), allow the
user to
>choose from among the tracks.
>
>What technologies allow for more than one closed caption or video description
>track?
>
>Jim Thatcher
>IBM Special Needs Systems
>www.ibm.com/sns