Re: Form Controls (Strengthening Checkpoint 10.6)

This guideline will also protect us all against other asocial means to
submit forms, e.g.

- automatic submission when all fields are filled out,
- submission via mouseover.

I realize it's implausible that people would actually do things that crazy,
but it seems like anything that can be done will be done sooner or later
whether it helps usability or not.

Hmmm.  This actually is a can of worms since you can do such things today
with javascript.

To what extent should the user agent protect the user from asocial javascript?

Len

At 10:08 AM 8/19/99 -0400, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>aloha, len!
>
>thanks for your suggestion -- "explicitly activated" sounds clearer to my
ears,
>now, too!
>
>which, of course, means that the re-proposed 10.6 should now read:
>
>    10.6 Prompt the user to confirm the submission of form content
>    if the submission mechanism is not explicitly activated by the
>    user. [Priority 2]
>
>thanks, again, len!
>        gregory.

>ACCOUNTABILITY, n.  The mother of caution.
>                        -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
>Gregory J. Rosmaita      <unagi69@concentric.net>
>Camera Obscura           <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html>
>VICUG NYC                <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>
>Read 'Em & Speak         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/books/>

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)