Re: review of section 5

DOCUMENT BEING REVIEWD:
   http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-WAI-USERAGENT-19990210/

James Allan wrote:

> my comments preceded by ja:
> ja: In reviewing section 5 for SMIL/multimedia accessibility I had one major
> question.
>
> Is a plugin (SMIL player, shockwave, insert your favorite plugin here...) a
> user agent?

I believe so. This should be stated in the abstract/introduction.

> 5.1.10 [Priority 1]
> Allow the user to control the position of captions.
>
> ja: Captions are not one size fit all, in addition to caption placement
> there is a need for
>
>         5.1.10.1 [Priority 1]
>         Allow the user to override font family of the caption.
>         5.1.10.2 [Priority 1]
>         Allow the user to override font size of the caption.
>         5.1.10.3 [Priority 1]
>         Allow the user to override foreground color of the caption.
>         5.1.10.4 [Priority 1]
>         Allow the user to override background color of the caption.

This is covered by the following statement in 5.1:

   They apply to alternative representations of content as well
   as primary content.

Note that alternative representations of content include captions.
This was an attempt to reduce the number of checkpoints.

> 5.2.6 [Priority 1]
> Allow the user specify that captions for video be rendered at the same time
> as the video.
>
> ja: Similar to audio tracks, captions may be available in different
> languages. There is a need for
>
>         5.2.x [Priority 1]
>         Allow the user to choose from among available caption tracks.

This was decided on a couple of teleconfs ago (don't have the
URI right now).

> 5.2.7 [Priority 2]
> Allow the user specify that audio descriptions of video be rendered at the
> same time as the video.
>
> ja: In discussion with the folks a WGBH, it was recommended that this
> checkpoint be changed to a Priority 1. Scenario-video showing professor
> writing complex equations and graphs on the overhead and discussing them but
> not describing what he/she actually wrote on the overhead. Without
> description this would be inaccessible to people with visual impairments.
> This could be generalize to any video presentation of visually rich or
> complex information where the visually presented information is critical to
> the understanding of the presentation.

ISSUE: Priority level of 5.2.7.

> ja: additionally, there may also be description tracks in different
> languages, there is no evidence of this yet so a Priority 2 is recommended.
> So there is a need for
>
>         5.2.x [Priority 2]
>         Allow the user to choose from among available audio description tracks.

This was also added as the results of a teleconf.

Thanks for the comments Jim!

Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs