W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 1999

MINUTES: WAI UA Telecon for February 24th, 1999

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:44:14 -0600
Message-Id: <199902252146.PAA10165@staff1.cso.uiuc.edu>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Attendance
Chair: Jon Gunderson
Scribe: Ian Jacobs
Kitch Barnicle
Harvey Bingham
Jim Allan Charles
McCathieNevile
Denis Anson

Completed Action Items 
HB(tables):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0229.html
b) From [1]: 

KB: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0204.html 
JA: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0233.html 
CMN: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/1999JanMar/0133.html 
HB: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0227.html 
HR: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0210.html 
IJ: Checkpoint 4.2.2: Remove word interactive (10 Feb WD) [DONE] 
IJ: Ian will explore HTML 4.0 sepcification related control labels by 24 Feb
[DONE] CMN Proposes Review of reviews in one week (to give time to read). 2)
Harvey/Mark Novak/Jim: Think it's not priority 1 to be able to navigate from
table to table. 

Unfinished Action Items 

SL: review section 1. 
IJ: Checkpoint 5.2.3: Clarify the meaning of the text and provide example in
techniques document (10 Feb WD) 
IJ: Checkpoint 5.2.4: Clarify the meaning of audio tracks (10 Feb WD) 
IJ: Add/delete indicated checkpoints from last week. 

New Action Items 
CMN: Draft a more general proposal for additional UAs. Action: Ian will make
explicit the "overlap" of DOM and other APIs in the techniques document.
Deadline: Two weeks. 
JG: Write proposal of what information needs to be exchanged. Deadline: One
week. 
JG: Propose subsets for remaining list of checkpoints to the list. Deadline:
One week. Action Harvey (Deadline 25 March): Table proposal for techniques
document. 
KB: Propose section in techniques document on accessible documentation
(Guidelines 4.1.2 and 4.1.3) 
DA: Draw up a proposal for a "table interface" for ATs in relation to the
discussion on checkpoint 5.4.3 [Priority 1] Allow the user to navigate among
tables in a document. .
DA: Propose section in techniques document about guideline 4.3 (IJ: See for
example 1.4 of Web Content Techniques).

New Checkpoint Proposals
DA: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0206.html 

Minutes 
NOTE: Next week's meeting will be 90 minutes. 
NOTE: No teleconference on 17 March since people will be at CSUN. Continued
agenda items: - 
HB: You don't need to be able to go to the next table, except where referenced
from text. 
JG: Navigate among chunks. Navigation useful when tables are nested. 
HB: Need general functionality rather than specific. 
IJ: Do headers fall into this category? 
/* Denis joins */ 
CMN: See my notes [3] for more comments on this. [3]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/1999JanMar/0133.html 
KB: Sequential access? 
CMN: It's about being able to know where a table begins and ends. 
DA: If 5.4.3. exists, should not be priority. Resolved: 5.4.3 is Priority 2.
Add "including embedded tables." Question of how to identify which table
you're
in (possible checkpoint): Proposed: numerical position. 
DA: But you may want to know that a table is within a cell.
IJ: What's important here: a) Get to a table? b) Know I'm in a table? c) That
I've left a table? d) What's "in" mean? How is this identified? 
KB: If someone knows they're in a table, they might change their
(screen-reading) process. 
DA: As soon as you're in a table, you want context information. e) Can you be
in a table without being in a cell? 
DA: Yes, you might want to get the caption for a table. Consider a table as a
semantic entity: Be able to select, move to cells of, get caption of, get
dimensions of, be able to identify position of in document. 
Action: Denis: Draw up a proposal for a "table interface" for ATs. Note:
Doesn't
necsessarily include navigation, but requires selection. Deadline next week. 
IJ: Think about symmetry with forms as you do it. 3) Proposal for AT/UA
interface http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JanMar/0218.html 
/* Ian reviews the proposal */ 
KB: For second checkpoint, not enough about where overlap occurs. 
IJ: Talk about that in Techniques document. 
HB: Do two ATs ever need to communicate? 
DA: There are some cases (e.g., blind and can't use a standard keyboard). 
JG: Change "desktop graphic browser" to "user agent" 
IJ: This checkpoint worded this explicitly because it's meant for browser/AT
communication. 
JG: What about multimedia objects? Do they need to export interfaces? (JG: Use
accessible APIs or std drawing routines). Resolved: Checkpoints as proposed
are
accepted as Priority 1 checkpoints. These are a *Minimum* 
Action: CMN: Draft a more general proposal for additional UAs. Action: Ian
will
make explicit the "overlap" of DOM and other APIs in the techniques document.
Deadline: Two weeks. 
JG: Also need information about what information must be communicated. 
Action: JG: Write proposal of what information needs to be exchanged.
Deadline:
One week. 
Action: JG: Propose subsets for remaining list of checkpoints to the list.
Deadline: One week. Action Harvey (Deadline 25 March): Table proposal for
techniques document. 
Action: KB: Propose section in techniques document on accessible documentation
(Guidelines 4.1.2 and 4.1.3) 
Action: DA: Propose section in techniques document about guideline 4.3 (IJ:
See
for example 1.4 of Web Content Techniques).


Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870
Fax: 217-333-0248
E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
WWW:	http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
	http://www.als.uiuc.edu/InfoTechAccess
Received on Thursday, 25 February 1999 16:46:16 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 20:38:21 UTC