RE: Discussion of DOM with Glen Gorden of Henter-Joyce (A) (A)

From: Charles Oppermann <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:08:22 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
<<
I think that DOM holds the same promises. There is one
problem though. MSAA in my opinion is a repair strategy,
where DOM is potentially a real solution. What we need is a
globally standard way to build a DOM. Then from the DOM
we can start rendering for whatever user profile. What we do
not need is visual rendering with the side effect that it gives
you also a DOM-view. The ideal DOM is still far away.

Remember what DOM means - Document Object Model.  It's not an assistive
technology interface, it's not even a user interface object model.  It's an
object model for documents - HTML documents to be specific.

Text object model developers find DOM inadequate to represent higher end
markup and layout.

I caution the group not to put too much stock into DOM.  While I feel it's
very useful to improve access to the web content - that is one small piece
of a users experience with a computer.