Re: PROPOSAL: Checkpoints related to TABLE elements for Conformance by AT Developers

At 03:09 PM 2/2/99 -0500, Ian wrote:
>B.K. DeLong wrote:
>>
>> At 01:22 PM 2/2/99 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>> >Checkpoint 4.3.b [Priority 1] Allow the user to view header information
>> >associated with a cell
>>
>> Does this include the ABBR attribute of the TD and TH elements?
>
>I believe that this would be part of a series of techniques
>used to establish header information for HTML. The HTML 4.0
>specification describes an algorithm for finding header
>information that we should reference.

It is useful to separate these two issues.

Clearly the highest and best implementation of this checkpoint would allow
the user to set a preference controlling whether the full contents or the
ABBR for each relevant header cell was presented here.  That was the intent
in adding ABBR into HTML4.

The hard part is not so much finding the ABBR in the TH cell but finding
which TH cell pertains.  That is the part that the algorithm in the HTML
spec worries about IIRC.

Al