Re: PROPOSAL: Checkpoints related to TABLE elements for Conformance by AT Developers

Response to CMN using JRG2:
At 03:54 PM 2/2/99 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>In general I think the checkpoints are good.
>
>Specific comments interspersed - see CMN:: and JG::
>

>On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
>  The following checkpoints are based on last weeks telecon discusion on
>  tables conformance for AT.
>
>  Checkpoint 5.5.a [Priority 1] Allow users to navigate between cells of a
table

>CMN::
>Does this mean horizontally and vertically? If not then it is made
>redundant by 4.3.a (following)

JRG2:One of the checkpoints is in a section 5.5 about navigation and the
other is in section 4.3 about rendering information.

>JG::
>  Checkpoint 4.3.a [Priority 1] Allow the user to view one table cell at a
time

>  Checkpoint 4.3.b [Priority 1] Allow the user to view header information
>  associated with a cell
>
>  Checkpoint 4.3.c [Priority 2] Allow the user to view assumed headers
>  associated with a cell
>
>  This checkpoint would use the HTML 4.0 header algorithm and other
>  techniques to determine assumed headers for a table cell.  This can be used
>  to repair poorly authored pages.
>
>CMN::
>I would lower the priority of this to 3 and raise the priority of 4.3.h
>(below) to priority 2

JRG2: Let's talk about it tommorrow.

>JG::
>  Checkpoint 4.3.d [Priority 2] Allow the user to view the CAPTION element of
>  a table
>
>  Checkpoint 4.3.e [Priority 2] Allow the user to view the SUMMARY attribute
>  of a table
>
>CMN::
>These two could be P1 - I am not sure.

JRG2: Let's talk about it tommorrow

>JG::
>  Checkpoint 4.3.f [Priority 2 or 3] Allow the user to view element
>  structural information about a table
>
>  This checkpoint provides information on the dimensions of the table and
>  other information like does the table have any header elements defined or
>  that it is an embedded table.
>
>  Checkpoint 4.3.g [Priority 2 or 3] Allow the user to view element
>  structural information associated with a cell
>
>  This checkpoint provides the row and column information for a table cell.
>  This maybe be useful as a last resort repair strategy for poorly authored
>  tables.
>
>  Checkpoint 4.3.h [Priority 3] Allow the user to view one table row or
>  column at a time
>
>  This checkpoint is a convience function for access an entire row or column
>  of information.
>
>CMN::  It is more than that. It may in fact be a possible technique (or
>fragment) for 5.5.a, but it allows the user to easily use the structure of
>the table to provide the context which is implicit in a visual rendering.

JRG2: I think we need to talk about the navigation verses rendering
checkpoints for consistency and funcationality.

>Charles

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870