Re: PROPOSAL: Checkpoints related to TABLE accessibility

Denis Anson wrote:

> The checkpoint on fully exposing DOM is, at best, a technique.  It doesn't
> say what functionality will be gained by doing this.  In fact, unless some
> third party AT is reading the DOM, no added functionality would be provided
> at all.

Denis,

In a sense, I agree with you: the issue of interprocess communication
can be seen as an implementation issue. However, making
support for DOM/exposing the DOM a technique means that it becomes
a non-normative solution. In my opinion, to promote interoperability,
the issue of communication must be addressed in the checkpoints
as well.

> I think that all priority 1 items should be directly related to the
> functionality that the checkpoint will provide to users with disabilities.

This is indeed the approach taken for the large majority of the
checkpoints: they reflect user needs. As the editor, I still wonder
whether it's best to write the checkpoints with language
that reflects user requirements or UA developer actions. For
the checkpoints to have an impact, I have leaned towards expressing
them in terms of what UA developers must do (while still retaining the
essential that these are to meet user needs).

However, there are a few exceptions to the "rule", including
references to non-human interfaces.

> With regard to the DOM in particular, making this priority 1 would suggest
> that this is the *only* way to provide access to web content, and I don't
> think we can say that.

I don't think this is implied, and it's certainly not what is meant.
The idea is: when it is necessary to communicate information to other
agents, use interoperable means. It is not necessary for every
functionality. It may be *useful* to provide programmatic access
to almost all information provided by a browser, but it is not
the only way to provide access to Web content.

Promoting interoperability through the DOM is one issue. Deciding
which checkpoints must be implemented natively is another.

Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs