Re: debugging HTTP failures

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Al Gilman wrote:

> Here is an idea I want to get on file for consideration by the ER
> groups:
>
> A logging gateway that helps capture information to document
> a trouble experience by a user.
>
> The problem today:
>
> 	HTTP troubles are pretty much hidden from the user.
> 	Browsers don't have technical support.
>
> The solution is to have a middleware engine that logs a session
> in which the user reproduces the problem.  This will capture the
> User-Agent headers, the HTTP traffic, and give the site tech
> support a much better trouble ticket than the user can.

I think this is a great idea. It could be especially useful for
finding bugs with obscure things like content/language negotiation,
where responses can vary depending on user settings and the UA doing
the request.

I don't think I can commit any of my own time to work on this,
but it's really a service that anyone can set up anywhere; one way
to get it implemented might be just to post something to Usenet
saying "here is a useful project for someone to work on."

--
Gerald Oskoboiny              <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator, W3C     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/