From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
To: w3c-wai-rc@w3.org <w3c-wai-rc@w3.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: Reporting of accessibility problems

>> Current Bobby uses an opaque algorithm to rank a URL as 1 to 4 stars.
>
>One lesson from the PICS experience in parental control over harmful
>content is that not knowing the criteria and the techniques used for
>rating/filtering is the worse thing to do. Whatever technique we use
>for rating sites for accessibility must be completely transparent,
>i.e. explained in simple words at the top of every document
>communicating the rating/evaluation.

In my opinion the key here is expressing the criteria in simple words.  To
me this is critical.  Clear, simple and concise so it can be quickly scanned
and understood.  Particularly by those who may not be sophisticated in the
ways of HTML.  Many sites are built by small business people who are
perfectly willing to make things accessible if we can show them easy ways to
do it, and how it will be to their advantage.